In 1930 to 1933, services were held in Daniel and Anna Dressler’s living room. A three-week tent meeting was held in Daniel Dressler’s yard and was led by evangelist Brother Fred Boas.
In 1933, a church was built in the Beresina district on the NE corner of SE 18-23-31. In 1958 a new church was built in Churchbridge. The old church, sold in 1960 to Gordon and Edna Olm, was moved to their farm 5 miles south of Churchbridge and became their house.
Dressler Cemetery is in the middle of SE 18-23-31. Daniel Dressler donated this hill for a cemetery when P.A. Busch died in 1891.
The south part of the cemetery was for Church of God members, and the north for other people, mostly people from the south part of Beresina district.
At one time, a fence running east and west divided the Church of God graves from the rest of the graves. This fence has been removed and, during the last few years, rules have not been so strict as to where the graves are to be placed.
In 1991, the cemetery was dedicated in honor of Christian and Elizabeth Dressler, who came to Canada in 1891 and homesteaded NE 26-23-32. A plaque at the gate of the cemetery is placed in their honor. The cemetery is well looked after and is still used for burials.
Finding the Cemetery
GPS: 50.98317,-101.79666 (marks the turnoff from the grid onto the trail that leads to the cemetery.)
From the town of Churchbridge drive 3 miles North on Highway 80.
Turn East and drive 4 miles on grid road.
Turn North on Beresina Road and drive approximately 3 miles. You will see a sign that marks the cemetery on the west side of the road, represented by the GPS co-ordinates above. (This is a small trail through a field).
Follow the trail wast for approximately 1/2 mile until you come to the cemetery.
NOTE: Accessing the cemetery requires crossing a narrow (but solid and easily passable) bridge. The cemetery can be difficult to access when the trail is wet.
The map below is a screenshot that shows directions to the cemetery. To view the interactive map, click here.