Ingleside United Church and Cemetery
The early settlers felt concern for spiritual need as well as their material needs. They arranged to have visiting ministers hold church services in their homes.
The first of these was an Anglican minister, Rev. Fyles, who came from the Russell/Binscarth area. He held church services at the William Cooper home. Rev. Ross, a Presbyterian clergy from Shoal Lake, held services in the D.J. Low home. Rev. Downing of Spy Hill held services at the D. J. Kirk home. He was a Methodist minister.
After the school was built in 1910, church was held every Sunday with a United Church minister officiating.
Perhaps the most important event in the history of the community was the opening of the new Ingleside United Church on June 20, 1954. This beautiful little church with its memorial pews and plaque was built by community efforts, and at the official opening was declared free of debt. Sunday school was held every Sunday as well as church. The church was built on the SW corner of NE 10-20-30.
The church remained open until June of 1980, when it was officially closed because there were so few members left in the area. It was moved to Langenburg in September 1983 and became an addition to the United Church. The Langenburg congregation had moved the vacant Tonkin United Church in to Langenburg, but with the congregation growing, they needed more room, so the little church from Ingleside soon became the main part of the church and was once again being used as a place for worship.
Early burial places were outside the district at Spy Hill, Harrowby, Russell, and Binscarth. In 1954, a cemetery was established just east of the new Ingleside Church. The cemetery is well taken care of and is still used for burials.
Finding the Cemetery
From Marchwell, drive 6 miles south on a grid road.
Turn east and drive just over 1/2 mile. The cemetery is on the south side of the road.
The map below is a screenshot that shows directions to the cemetery. To view the interactive map, click here.