St. Nicholas Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery
The pioneers settled in the MacNutt district around the late 1800's. They brought along with their possessions their religion and prayer books.
The pioneers, along with their spouses, organized the congregation in 1900. They worshiped in homes, reading from their prayer books.
The first members and their spouses were: Peter T. Kalchuk, Onofrey Antony, Wasyl Shewchuk, Metro Roska, Eli Awran, Mykeeper, Tokar, Toder Werstuik, George Calanchie, Mofatay Wereschuk, Kost Werstuik, George Prokopetz, Gregory Pitz, John Pitz, Meylon Pitz, Wasyl Petrochuk, Paulo Sawchuk, Alex Sawchuk, Mogcey Screpnek, Kost Screpnek, Kost Sawa, Eli Pitz, and Nick Boychuk.
In 1900, Fred Werstuik donated four acres of land on the SW corner of SW 32-24-30. In 1902, the first log church was completed with a cedar-shingled roof, beautified by a high dome (acpola) with a belfry. This was the first Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Saskatchewan. Before the congregation could obtain a minister on a regular basis, knowledgeable cantors assisted in fulfilling the services for baptism, marriage, and funerals.
Metro Roska, Paulo Sawchuk, and George Calanchie officially witnessed the transfer of land on December 18, 1909. In 1917, the log church was taken apart and by 1920, a new lumber church was constructed. The present belfry was built from logs of the first church.
Finding the Cemetery
From the village of MacNutt, drive almost 2 miles north on Highway 8. Turn west, and drive 2 miles. The cemetery is on the north side of the road.
The map below is a screenshot that shows directions to the cemetery. To view the interactive map, click here.