Landestreu Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church & Cemetery
Joseph Wagner, the oldest man in the New Assiniboia settlement, who at one time lived in Landestreu, Galicia, called his new home in Canada “Landestreu”. He arrived here in 1890 and he was fluent in English. He had the first post office in Landestreu.
In 1892, the Landestreu Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran congregation was formed. On June 17, 1898, a letter was sent to the Canadian Department of the Interior requesting forty acres of section 20, township 23, range 30 for mission purposes. Pastor Geith and three trustees: Adam Kitz, Phillip Popp, and Jacob Zorn, signed the letter. With the necessary authorization from Minnesota, President Dr. Pfotenhauer and with the payment of the $10.00 patent fee, the formal application for the land was made on June 27, 1899. The title to the 40 acres was granted on March 7, 1900. It was made out to the congregation’s members (voters) of that day. They were: Johann Adam, Alfred Andres, George Andres, Johann Baire, Jacob Bahsler, Adam Brant, Philip Brant, Johann Dietrich, Adam Kitz, Adam Kitsch, Peter Kotzer, Andreas Lindenbach, Phillip Popp, Johan Rathgeber, Jackob Schappert, Gottfried Schappert, Jackob Schepp, Heinrich Wagner, Joseph Wagner Jr., Joseph Wagner Sr., and Jacob Zorn.
In 1900 a small log church was built east of the present cemetery. It was also used as a school until 1916. As many as 100 pupils were taught in this building at one time.
In 1910, a new church was built southeast of the old church. This church is still used today with services every second Sunday.
In 1944, the church was lifted and a basement was dug under it, using horses. This basement is used for Sunday school and social events. The old log church was then taken down.
The first cemetery was SE corner of NW 32-23-30. Approximately 18 graves are in a bluff of trees, but only the flowers blooming in summer show any signs of the cemetery.
The second cemetery is on the church property. It started in 1900, and it is very clean with a brick walk through the middle, and a steel gate and fence in front.
Burial records from 1895 to 1900 show deaths of 17 children, most of them buried in the first cemetery.
Finding the Cemetery
GPS: 51.00513,-101.63260 (current cemetery)
GPS: 51.029703, -101.645178 (original cemetery - unmarked. This cemetery is in the middle of a section of land, on private property, and is not visible from any road. There is no trace of any grave.)
Both the original cemetery and the current cemetery are located on the same grid road, approximately 1/2 mile apart.
Driving from Langenburg, go 7 miles north on Highway 8, until you come to a "T" intersection.
Turn east and drive 3 1/2 miles, until you see the sign for MacNutt and the continuation of Highway 8.
Turn north and drive 4 miles on Highway 8.
Turn west. After driving approximately 1 mile, you will see the church approximately 1/4 mile to the south. Turn south at this grid road and arrive at the church and current cemetery.
The map below is a screenshot that shows directions to the cemetery. To view the interactive map, click here.