Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church and Cemetery
The first settlers immigrated to Canada in the spring of 1900. Most of them that settled in this area were from Bukovina, Cernautz.
The summer of 1901, these people got together at Wasyl Calancia’s home and decided to build a church. Wasyl Calancia donated 2 acres of land for the church property, and the people erected a cross. This property was SW corner of SW 22-24-31.
In 1902, the people started to build the church. Each family brought a few logs, rails, and nails. All was volunteer help. The church was used until 1958 when the old church was moved a short distance north so the new one could be built on the same site. They discovered a stone under the Holy Altar Table, with a chiselled inscription, indecipherable except for the words May 1903, the date the church was consecrated.
The last church built 1958 is in excellent repair and is still used for services. The congregation celebrated their 100th anniversary in 2003.
In 1960, land was acquired from George Ironside (across the road to the south) and a hall was built for social events. The land description is NW corner of NW 15-24-31.
Finding the Cemetery
GPS: 51.08053, -101.74761
From Churchbridge, drive north on Highway 80 for approximately 12 miles.
Turn east on grid road SK-381. Drive approximately 6 miles.
The church and current cemetery will be on the north side of the road. The hall, and a small cemetery, will be on the south side of the road.
The map below is a screenshot that shows directions to the cemetery. To view the interactive map, click here.